Education & Training
- PhD, University of Pittburgh, Slavic Languages and Literatures, 2007
- PhD, Certificate (Cultural Studies), 2007
- Ph.D, Certificate (Film Studies), 2007
- MA, in Russian Philology and Comparative Linguistics, Moscow Lomonosov State University, 1987
- Russian Fairy Tales
- History of Russian Film
- Forbidden Love on Page and screen
- Dreams, Visions, and Nightmares (Russian Culture of the 20th Century
- A Tale of Three Cities: Kiev, Moscow and St. Petersburg (early Russian culture)
- New Developments in Post-Soviet Regions
- Russian Language (all levels)
“Reclaiming Anna Karenina's Cinematic Baggage.” Tolstoi's Legacy. Brill Publishers, forthcoming
“Anna Karenina: Tickets on Sale.” AAS Annual Conference. Adaptation and Modernisms. Mazaryk University, Brno, September 2019.
A Window onto Russia: A Half-Century of Study Abroad with CIEE. Tver': Pareto-Print, 2017.
"Female Agency in Svetlana Proskurina's Remote access and Vera Storozheva's Traveling with Pets." Studies in Russian and Soviet Cinema. Vol.11, Issue 1, 2017.
"Screening Anna Karenina: Myth via Novel or Novel via Myth." Tolstoy on Screen. Chicago: Northwestern UP, 2015.
"Crime and Punishment as a Comic Book." Dostoevskii's Overcoat: Influence, Comparison, and Transposition. Rodopi: Amsterdam/New York, 2013.
“Woman Avenger on Post-Soviet Screen.” Studies in Russian and Soviet Cinema 4.2. Bristol: Intellect, 2010.
“The New Century: Has the Russian Pandora’s Time Come?” Slavic and East European Journal Vol. 51.2 (Summer 2007).
“Reading Nina Sadur in Translation.” The Oeuvre of Nina Sadur. The Ohio State University, 2005.
“Revisualizing Anna Karenina.” Tolstoy Studies Journal. Vol. XVI, 2004.
“The Chronotope of the Maternity Home.” Studies in Slavic Cultures IV. Pittsburgh, 2003.
- Pop-culture adaptations of canonical literary texts
- Women Filmmakers
- Contemporary Russian Cinema
- Soviet and Post-Soviet Culture
- American Western
Representative Conference Presentations
"Portrayal of Americans in Russian Cinema and Mass Media.” Images of America: Reality and Stereotypes. Salzburg Global Seminar, September 2016.
“Cultural Policy and Educational Reforms in Putin's Russia.” Russian Culture in the Era of Globalization. University of Leeds, June 2015.
“An Affair to Remember: Remaking Anna Karenina.” Adaptation: Russian Text into Film. The Ohio State University, March 2015.
“In the Name of the Mother: Remote Access and Psychoanalytic Feminism.” Heroes and Heroines in Russian Culture. Mansfield College, Oxford, September 2012.
“Kiss of Life: (Mis)interpretation of the Russian National Myths in Comics.” AAASS National Convention. Washington DC, November 2006.
“Adapting Lev Tolstoi's Anna Karenina: Anna as Garbo and Garbo as Anna.” Literature and Film. Towson University, November 2006.
Employment Since Graduation
Mellon Assistant Professor of Russian, Vanderbilt University
Center Director, CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange), St.Petersburg, Russia
Visiting Professor, St.Petersburg State University
Dissertation Title and Year
Visualizing Anna Karenina, 2007